Gluten free/vegetarian/vegan option. Revive your stir fry routine! Seared artichokes stand in for the usual stir fry protein, surrounded by veggie favorites and tinged with a little heat. Pile the veggies over fluffy, flavorful, whipped white beans which are ready in half the time it takes to make rice.
- 4 1/2 T olive oil
- 1 C finely chopped yellow onion (1/2 onion)
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced, divided use
- 2 cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (3 cups)
- 2 C water or light colored vegetable stock
- Kosher or sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 T butter (optional – substitute more olive oil)
- 2 cans artichoke hearts in water, drained and halved lengthwise (12 to 14 hearts)
- 1/4 t dried thyme
- Splash of white wine (or more vegetable stock or water)
- 4 C bite-sized broccoli florets
- 1/8 t red pepper flakes
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thick
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 C pesto, homemade or store bought
- In a medium saucepan, heat a splash of olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, then add half the garlic and cook about 30 seconds more, until fragrant. Add beans and stock and raise heat to bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cool the beans slightly, then transfer the solids to a blender using a slotted spoon. Add 2 tablespoons of the cooking liquid, a teaspoon of salt, and a pinch of black pepper and blend until nearly smooth. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil and blend until smooth. If your purée is thicker than you like, add more of the cooking liquid a tablespoon at a time. Keep in covered blender to stay warm until ready to serve and reserve remaining cooking liquid.
- In a medium to large heavy skillet, heat butter and a tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat until butter is melted. Add a single layer of artichokes cut side down, and cook undisturbed for a few minutes until cut side is well browned. Sprinkle with thyme and add wine, then cook until liquid is nearly evaporated. Flip artichokes over for a couple minutes to lightly brown the other side, then remove to a bowl.
- To the same skillet, add another tablespoon of oil. When hot, add broccoli and red pepper flakes and cook for a minute, then add red pepper slices and cook until browned in places. Add a couple tablespoons of cooking liquid from the beans and cook until evaporated, a minute or two. Stir in remaining garlic for about 30 seconds. Remove from heat, squeeze in the juice from the lemon half, fold in artichokes, and season to taste.
- Serve stir fried veggies over a big scoop of white bean purée and a dollop of pesto. The recipe keeps well for a few days if the components are stored separately.
Make sure to cut your broccoli into truly bite-sized florets. It will be easier to eat, but will also cook through in the same amount of time as the peppers, making for streamlined cooking. If you buy broccoli pre-cut, you may need to cut it into slightly smaller pieces.
To make the recipe vegan, make sure to use dairy-free pesto.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Italian