A low-oil, zero-chopping, delicious curry of vegetables, chickpeas, and your favorite curry powder. The ultimate pantry curry to eat tonight and again for lunches or to stock the freezer.
- 1 Tbsp coconut or canola oil
- 1/4 C curry powder
- 2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 2 cans (14 oz. each) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans (14 oz. each) chickpeas, drained
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk (14 oz.)
- 8 to 10 C frozen veggies (such as cauliflower, peas, and carrots; 2 to 3 lb. total)
- Carbs for serving (rice, naan, potatoes)
- Toppings such as coconut yogurt, cilantro, scallions, lime, or hot sauce
- In a large Dutch oven (at least 4 quarts), heat the oil over medium heat. Add curry powder and ginger, and stir almost constantly for a minute (it will resemble a crumbly dough).
- Add tomatoes, chickpeas, and coconut milk, stirring to break up the spice paste. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the frozen veggies and ½ tsp salt and increase heat to return to a rapid simmer. Cover and maintain a gentle simmer, reducing heat if necessary, and cook another 5 to 10 minutes, until veggies are tender and warm. Season to taste with more salt plus black pepper.
- Cool slightly, uncovered, before serving with cooked rice or potatoes, plain vegan yogurt, cilantro or scallions, lime wedges, and any other favorite toppings.