I love this as a savory breakfast, but it’s a great warm alternative to a salad for lunch, a hearty snack, or a quick dinner.
- 1 C whatever veggies you have, chopped (I used green and red bell pepper, red onion, and a big handful of spinach)
- 1/4 C (approximately) of something creamy: avocado, shredded cheese, or sour cream
- 1 t olive or vegetable oil
- 1/2 C cooked chickpeas
- Salt and pepper
- Extra toppings, such as salsa, hot sauce, lime juice, or fresh herbs
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a small skillet, then add the veggies that are not leafy greens and stir occasionally until beginning to brown. While the veggies cook, put the chickpeas in a serving bowl (you’ll use this to eat from when finished) and use the bottom of a measuring cup or a wooden spoon to smash them just a bit. This stops them from rolling around everywhere and provides a varied texture. Add the chickpeas and any leafy greens to the pan, and stir a few minutes more until chickpeas are warmed and/or greens are wilted. Turn off the heat and add cheese, avocado, salt, and pepper. Serve in the bowl and top with sour cream or any additional toppings.
If adding eggs to the scramble, add them with the chickpeas and leafy greens and be sure to cook completely through.
Gluten free, meatless, omit cheese to make it vegan.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Healthy