As easy as it gets for healthy, comforting, season-less side dishes.
- 3 C (2 cans) cooked garbanzo beans/chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 6 T vegetable broth or stock
- 1 large garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 1/2 t dried oregano
- 2 T olive oil (your best)
- Ground black pepper
- Combine beans, 3 tablespoons liquid, garlic, and oregano in small, lidded saucepan (see notes). Stir to combine, cover, and heat over medium 5 to 10 minutes, shaking gently once or twice.
- Once warm, remove from heat and use immersion blender to puree completely (using an immersion blender will result in a just slightly textured puree, as pictured). If mixture is very thick and difficult to blend, add more liquid a tablespoon at a time. Stir in olive oil, plus plenty of salt and pepper, to taste.
Substitute water or non-dairy milk for vegetable stock, if desired.
If using an immersion blender, it’s important that you use a small (1 to 1.5 qts) saucepan. Anything larger and the mixture will be too shallow to blend safely.
If not concerned about keeping it vegan, butter will substitute well for olive oil.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Vegan