Gluten free/vegetarian. Prep the ingredients for the beans while you cook the garlic quinoa, and you have super quick, fun, and healthy lunches to look forward to all week!
- 4 1/2 T olive oil or butter, divided
- 6 medium cloves garlic, minced (4 for the quinoa, 2 for the beans)
- 1 1/4 C dry quinoa, rinsed
- 2 1/4 C + 1 C water (divided use)
- 1 1/2 t garlic salt (plus regular salt)
- 1/4 t ground white pepper
- 1/2 small yellow onion, chopped small
- 3 stalks celery, diced (plus more for garnish)
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 C cooked beans (2 15 oz. cans), drained and rinsed
- 1/3 C buffalo sauce (such as Frank’s)
- 1/2 C crumbled blue cheese
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- Make the quinoa. Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil or butter over medium heat in a 2 quart (or larger) saucepan. Add 4 cloves minced garlic and stir constantly until it turns light golden. Add the quinoa and stir for another minute or two, to toast. Add 2 1/4 cups water and a pinch of garlic salt, increase heat to high, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, and cook for about 15 minutes, until the quinoa is tender and has absorbed all the liquid. Stir in 1 teaspoon garlic salt and the pepper and distribute warm quinoa amongst four bowls or to-go containers.
- Make the beans. Heat 3 tablespoons butter or oil over medium heat until melted or hot. Add onion, celery, and carrots, increase heat to medium high, and cook, stirring often, until well browned. Add garlic and cook 15 to 30 seconds. Add beans and 1 cup water and reduce heat (probably down) to a simmer. Cook 5 to 10 minutes to reduce slightly, smashing some of the beans with the back of a wooden spoon as they cook, to thicken. Add hot sauce and simmer another minute or two, then season to taste with 1 teaspoon salt and a pinch of garlic salt. Divide beans amongst bowls with quinoa.
- To serve or store, top with blue cheese, scallions, and extra chopped celery. Keep in the refrigerator for up to five days, or freeze without the celery and scallion topping.
Recipe inspired by my 4-ingredient spicy black beans and buffalo chicken garlic quinoa bowls.
If you don’t have onions, carrots, AND celery, just use 2 cups total of just one or two of them.
For speedy prep, get the bean ingredients ready while the quinoa cooks.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Vegetarian