Eggplant and hearty chard greens and stems make this stir-fry especially comforting and filling for a meatless one-dish dinner. Quick and impressive for weeknights or any night! Besides being gluten-free, it’s also vegan, dairy-free, and low-fat.
- 1 ½ C dry jasmine rice (or other long grain rice)
- 1 large eggplant (1 to 1.5 lbs.), cut into ¾” cubes with skin on (about 5 C cubed)
- Large bunch Swiss chard (green or rainbow, about 1.5 lbs.)
- 2 T minced garlic
- 1 T minced ginger
- ½ large jalapeno, stemmed, seeded, deveined; minced
- 3 large scallions, sliced diagonally 1/4” thick (white and green parts)
- 2 T toasted sesame oil (such as Trader Joe’s)
- 2 t cornstarch
- 1 lime (plus a second for garnish, optional)
- 2 T soy sauce or Tamari (for gluten free)
- 1.5 T vegetable oil
- Optional garnishes: cilantro; roasted peanuts or cashews; sesame seeds
- In a medium saucepan, combine rice with 2 ¼ cups water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer (low to medium-low heat) for ten minutes. Shake the pan slightly to hear if any unabsorbed water sloshes. When water is absorbed, turn off heat, fluff rice with a fork, and cover to keep warm. (Note: jasmine rice cooks quickly and it’s difficult to predict the exact cooking time. A saucepan with a clear lid would really come in handy, if you have one!)
- In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup, whisk together a tablespoon of sesame oil, cornstarch, juice of one lime, and soy sauce. Set aside.
- Wash the chard and cut the leaves from the stems. Cut the stems into two inch pieces and keep separate. Roughly chop the leaves.
- In a wok or large skillet (I don’t use nonstick), heat remaining tablespoon sesame oil and the vegetable oil over high heat. Once hot, add the garlic, ginger, and jalapeno pepper and cook for about 30 seconds to infuse the oil. Add the chard stems and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until just beginning to soften. Add the eggplant cubes and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until they soften but are not completely cooked. Add the chard (the pan may be a little full, which is okay) and a couple tablespoons of water. Cook, stirring, until the chard starts to wilt. If your skillet has a cover, put it on for a minute or two to speed the process by steaming the vegetables. Stir the sauce mixture to incorporate any settled cornstarch, then add to the pan and bring to a simmer. Decrease the heat to low to continue to heat and thicken the sauce, stirring to coat the vegetables.
- Serve stir fried vegetables over jasmine rice with extra soy sauce and garnishes, if using.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Vegan