Most of the prep work for these meatless, creamy lettuce wraps can be done while the lentils cook, so no cook time is included in the total time. The lentils and dressing can be prepared separately ahead of time, or assemble the whole salad a day ahead.
- 1 1/4 C dry French green lentils, rinsed
- 2 1/2 C water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 t salt
- 16 – 20 kalamata olives, sliced or chopped
- 1/4 C finely chopped red onion
- 1 roma tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 C chopped celery or bell pepper
- 1/3 C chopped toasted walnuts
- 2 T chopped fresh herbs (such as parsley and oregano)
- 1/3 C sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
- 2/3 C plain hummus
- 2 T fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 8 – 12 romaine or Bibb lettuce leaves, rinsed
- Combine lentils, water, bay leaf, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered until lentils are tender but not falling apart, about 20 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water, and remove the bay leaf. Transfer to a medium mixing bowl and set in the fridge to cool.
- Prepare other ingredients, up through fresh herbs, if you haven’t already. Combine sour cream, hummus, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and ground black pepper to taste to make the dressing. Add the olives, vegetables, nuts, and herbs to the lentils, then pour in the dressing. Stir gently until everything is well mixed and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve lettuce leaves and lentil salad family style, letting everyone scoop plenty of filling onto each piece of lettuce. If you have any of the salad ingredients leftover, serve as extra toppings. The lentil salad keeps well for a couple days in the fridge–just stir to remedy any separation caused by the water content of the tomatoes.
The recipe is gluten free and vegetarian.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Vegetarian