Gluten free/vegetarian/easily vegan. You’ll barely notice the kale in this loaded vegetarian salad, if that’s your goal. A little parmesan lends an almost creamy texture, and juices from the caramelized veggies add another dimension of flavor to every bite. Easily an entrée salad!
- 6 T olive oil, divided
- 2 T balsamic vinegar, divided
- 1 T tamari or soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/2 t dried basil
- 1/2 t dried rosemary
- 1 T finely chopped shallot
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon, divided
- 10 oz. baby bella mushrooms, halved or quartered into 1” pieces
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1” chunks
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 2” pieces
- Kosher or sea salt
- 1 bunch curly green kale, middle stems removed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 C (or more) grated parmesan cheese
- In a bowl large enough to hold the mushrooms, mix 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon balsamic, tamari, garlic, dried herbs, shallot, a generous pinch of pepper, and half the lemon juice. Add mushrooms and toss to coat. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Preheat oven to 425 (F). Toss tomatoes, zucchini, and onion with 3 tablespoons olive oil and plenty of salt and pepper. Spread vegetables in a single layer over most of a rimmed baking sheet, adding the mushrooms to the pan in a separate corner so they can be easily removed first, if needed. Roast vegetables in uppermost oven rack for 15 minutes. If mushrooms appear golden in places and are tender, remove from the pan. Continue roasting vegetables for 5 to 10 minutes until all are beginning to brown in places. Let cool on the pan.
- In a mixing bowl, sprinkle kale with a little salt and squeeze fistfuls for a few minutes until it’s bright green, fragrant, and less stiff. Toss with a tablespoon of olive oil. Add a splash of balsamic vinegar, the remaining lemon juice, and half the parmesan and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss dressed kale with roasted veggies and and pass extra parmesan cheese at the table.
Prep and cook times don’t include inactive time for marinating the mushrooms.
To make it vegan, skip the parmesan or use a vegan cheese or a sprinkling of nutritional yeast. For strict vegetarians (not just meatless), make sure to use vegetarian parmesan.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Italian