Don’t limit yourself to just breakfast with this filling, healthy, milkshake-like smoothie. Try it pre- or post-workout, as a big snack, or even with a little whipped cream on top as dessert.
- 1 C almond or oat milk
- 1/2 C pumpkin puree, frozen for best consistency
- 1/2 C 1″ thick frozen banana slices (7 to 8 pieces)
- 1/4 C rolled oats
- 2 T sunflower seed or peanut butter
- 1 t maple syrup
- 1/2 t cinnamon (plus more for garnish)
- Optional: toasted pumpkin seeds for garnish
- In advance, chop and freeze bananas in a freezer bag and pumpkin in standard ice cube trays (2 T per cube).
- To make the smoothie, add ingredients to blender in order listed. Blend until smooth, gradually increasing blender speed. You’ll need to stop and stir (or use the included stir stick with some high powered blenders) occasionally, because the frozen ingredients take a while to blend. The smoothie may take 3 to 5 minutes to come together. You can add more almond milk or use unfrozen pumpkin for easier blending, but the smoothie won’t be as thick.
Toasted pumpkin seeds can be sharp, so I’d recommend eating them off the top of the smoothie before you get to the bottom, and omitting for children.
I used canned pumpkin puree, but homemade would work just as well.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Category: Smoothie
- Cuisine: Vegan