- Olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 medium (about 1 lb.) Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
- 6 pitted kalamata olives, finely chopped
- Kosher or sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- 5 eggs
- 2 T cream, milk, or non-dairy milk
- 3/4 C grated Monterey jack cheese (or another mild, soft cheese)
- Sour cream and fresh herbs (optional), for serving
- 2 large (2 cup) or 4 medium (1 cup) ramekins or other small baking dishes
- Place ramekins or baking dishes on a baking sheet and set on middle rack of oven. Set oven to preheat to 375 (F).
- Heat enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan over medium heat. Add garlic slices and cook, stirring, often, until golden brown. Remove from pan and reserve. Add potatoes to the oil, turn up heat to just above medium, and stir to coat the slices in oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the slices are completely tender, with a few starting to fall apart. Remove to a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. If pan is dry, add another splash of oil, then add onions and cook until beginning to brown. Remove to bowl with potatoes, and add more salt and pepper. Add olives to the bowl with the potatoes and onions.
- In a separate bowl or liquid measuring cup, whisk eggs, cream, cheese, and a bit of salt and pepper until eggs are well beaten. Once potatoes have cooled for 5 to 10 minutes, add egg mixture and toss gently to coat, without breaking too many of the potatoes.
- Remove ramekins from oven and lightly oil (careful not to burn yourself) or spray with nonstick cooking spray. Evenly pour potato and egg mixture into ramekins, using a spoon to press the potatoes flat. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until just set in the center, if using the larger ramekins. For smaller ramekins, start checking at 10 minutes. Cool about 5 minutes, then run an offset spatula or butter knife around the edge and working a little into the bottom of the ramekins. Place each serving plate upside down over each ramekin, then invert (wearing an oven mitt). The potato tortilla should pop right out onto the plate. Serve with sour cream (and fresh herbs, if you have some on hand)
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Spanish