If you have a crust at the ready, this playful, satisfying pie comes together in almost no time with easy pantry ingredients. Some versions call for a starchy flour or cornstarch thickener, but this one sets beautifully without any gluten or grains. The only hard part is waiting for it to cool and set before you dig in!
- 9 inch partially baked pie crust (bottom crust only; follow package instructions if using store bought)
- 1 1/2 C granulated sugar
- 1/4 C unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 t salt
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 C evaporated milk
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 4 T (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 3/4 C pecans, roughly chopped (plus more for garnish)
- Whipped cream or ice cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 (F).
- Sift cocoa powder into the sugar, add the salt, and whisk to combine. Stir in eggs, evaporated milk, vanilla, and melted butter until well mixed. Sprinkle pecans evenly over the partially baked pie crust, then pour filling mixture over them (the pecans will rise).
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes until the pie is nearly set–it will still jiggle a little bit in the middle. After 50 minutes, set a piece of foil over the pie to keep the pecans and crust from burning. Cool completely on a wire rack (or chill) before serving with whipped cream or ice cream, and a sprinkle of extra pecans.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 55 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American