Gluten free and vegan. A two-pan Tex Mex dinner recipe made with lots of pantry ingredients you probably have on hand already (or with easy substitutions). It also satisfies the Chipotle craving in a little healthier way.
- 2 limes, divided use
- 1 1/3 C dry brown rice
- 1 red onion – 1/4 of it finely chopped, remainder sliced 1/4″ thick
- 1 large green bell pepper, sliced 1/4″ thick
- Vegetable oil
- 1/2 C finely chopped carrot and/or celery (or more onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano or epazote
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cans (3 C) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 C water or vegetable stock
- 1/4 C chopped cilantro (optional)
- 1/2 C grated Manchego or Monterey jack cheese
- Red salsa
- Avocado, diced
- Zest one of the limes. Cook the rice using this method, or according to package directions, adding the lime zest with the rice.
- While the rice cooks, sauté the sliced onion and bell pepper in a couple teaspoons of hot oil over medium high heat in a large skillet. Once browned on the outside and still slightly crisp, season with salt and pepper and transfer to a plate. Cover with foil or place in a warm (180 F) oven. In the same skillet, heat a tablespoon of oil over medium. Add the chopped onion and carrot/celery and cook until beginning to soften. Add the garlic, dry spices, and a generous pinch of salt and cook another two minutes, stirring often. Add beans and water, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook about 10 to 15 minutes, smashing some of the beans with a wooden spoon every time you stir, which will thicken the sauce. Remove from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- When the rice is done, stir in the juice of half (or one whole) lime, salt to taste, and cilantro, if using. Assemble each bowl with a big scoop of rice, some beans, a quarter of the veggies, a sprinkle of cheese, and one quarter of the avocado. Serve salsa and the remaining lime, quartered, at the table.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Tex Mex