Basic buttered peas get a party-worth spring makeover: sweet onion, bright lemon zest, and whatever fresh herbs you have on hand. Plus lots of pretty pastel lima beans!
- 1 C water
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 t salt (plus more to taste)
- 1/4 C (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 lb. frozen peas
- 1 lb. frozen lima beans
- Lemon zest from half a lemon
- 1 1/2 T chopped fresh herbs: chives, mint, and dill do well for spring
- Bring water, onion, and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil over high heat in a medium saucepan. Cover and reduce heat to medium low, simmering about 5 minutes, until onion is tender.
- Stir in butter, peas, and lima beans and increase heat to medium high. Cover and cook 5 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until peas and beans are tender and butter is melted. Off heat, stir in lemon zest and herbs, plus salt and pepper to taste. The peas and beans are most delicious served with their liquid.
Adapted from Gourmet Comfort special edition magazine.
Mint is delicious here, but note that it turns black when wet. If using, for the best presentation, add to the dish just before serving.
The side dish does well made a day ahead. Keep extra liquid with the peas and limas, and reheat in a low oven or microwave, stirring occasionally, covered with foil or plastic wrap, respectively.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Classic