A mild, family-friendly, plant-based white bean chili. Makes enough in the crock pot to eat some now and freeze some for later!
- 1 1/2 C dried garbanzo beans
- 1 1/2 C dried white beans
- 1 1/2 C chopped green bell pepper (2 medium)
- 1 C diced white or yellow onion
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic (3-ish cloves)
- 1 C chopped celery (4 stalks)
- 2 tsp dried epazote (optional)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano (add 1 more tsp if not using epazote)
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp masa (or fine ground yellow cornmeal)
- 2 C frozen corn
- For extra spice: 1 fresh jalapeno pepper finely chopped AND/OR
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes AND/OR 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Toppings for serving: tortilla chips, limes, pickled onions, cilantro, avocado or guacamole
- In a 5 quart or larger slow cooker, combine dried beans, bell pepper, onion, garlic, celery, dried herbs and spices, salt, and 8 cups water. Cook on low for about 9 hours until the beans are fall-apart soft (losing their shape is okay for this recipe!).
- Use a ladle or measuring cup to transfer 2 cups of the chili to a blender. In a separate dish, stir or whisk masa with 1/4 cup water until smooth. Add to blender. Blend soup and masa mixture until totally smooth. Pour back into the slow cooker.
- Add frozen corn to the slow cooker. Cover and continue cooking on low for 30 minutes so the masa mixture thickens the chili. Serve with toppings or transfer to containers to cool for refrigerator or freezer storage.
Stovetop modification: In 1 Tbsp oil or enough veggie stock to cover the bottom of a 5 quart or larger pot, saute the green pepper, celery, onion, and garlic over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add dried herbs and spices and salt and cook, stirring frequently for 2 minutes. Add 6 cans (15 oz. each) of white and/or garbanzo beans, drained, and 5 cups water or veggie broth, stir to combine, and bring to a low boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add 2 cups of the chili to a blender, plus a mixture of 2 Tbsp masa or cornmeal and 1/4 cup water. Blend until smooth, then add back to the pot, along with the frozen corn. Bring to a simmer and let bubble for another 10 minutes, until thickened and smooth. Season to taste with salt.
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Vegan